Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hide and Seek

She still writes letters the old-fashioned way. How cool is that! Nice pens and fancy stationery. She makes candles and soap. Seriously. And plum pie from scratch. She homeschools 4 kids and they're all well-behaved. The kids, I mean. Her, not so much!

You should hear the things she's doing. Rock Climbing and Water slides and reading Les Miserable, and painting and frisbee and passports for travel.

I didn't know all of this. She's usually hiding behind the camera. Says it's her way of freezing time. Preserving memory. Capturing the moment. It just ocurred to me yesterday that it's like a game of hide and seek for adults.



That's what I do with my guitar. I keep it with me 'cause it makes sense to me and I can stay behind it and feel secure. Every so often I'll venture out from behind, but I always know where it is. You can tell if I've moved in to a place by whether or not my guitar is there. So I'm thinking about that and I said "hey, my turn, I get to take pictures this time."


Shortly I'll be in studio with Mike Turner recording Secret Place. It's a song about hiding. I think hiding is good sometimes. I was hiding back in 2002 when I wrote this song. I think you can hide out of fear or you can hide cause you're preparing something, or being prepared for something.

Same song, second verse:


It's not like I've been to the point where I'm supposed to break

And it's not like I've already taken more than I thought I could take

Not like I'd get what I got if it was mine to choose

Sometimes I wonder if maybe I was born to lose

Still, hypothetically, if it should happen to me

I think I'd run and hide, believe that I would run and hide...

In the Secret Place of the Most High...

A single phrase to describe my friend Darlene Taylor:
Hiding Seeker






















1 comment:

c. elle said...

Loved this post Lennox! Great job.

We all Hide and We all Seek.

Blessings,
C.