Saturday, September 20, 2008

Conduit

Times shift. Seasons change.  Conversations rearrange. I value things that stay the same. This friend is one of those. 

When everything else fades to gray, some people I still see in color.
 
Yesterday I saw red. Gorgeous red columns of steel at the new LACMA building on Wilshire. Jeff Koons' red high-chromium stainless steel cracked egg. That was my favorite piece. We laughed about how you can look at a piece of art and not really get what it's about, but for the sake of people in your company, you 'ooh' and 'aah' so as not to appear unsophisticated. More accurately, we laughed that neither of us felt compelled to pretend. 

Never had to pretend much with this lady. Wouldn't do me any good anyway. Sees me like I am, calls it like it is. Maybe it's the photographer eye. Why do I have so many photographer friends? I'm thinking about the last 4 blog entries. All interesting personalities. All dreamers. All photographers. Whence come these people to my life, who save the world in frames?

My friend Rita once mentioned the concept of an accountability circle. I never formalized one, as in, we don't have printed badges and assigned seating.  I have, however, benefitted greatly from the concept and have a loosely organized but deliberately pursued, circle of accountability. 
I had lunch with two of it's members yesterday. I know when I'm being investigated. To be sure, the food at Pailin Thai was delicious, and I betrayed my inner vegetarian yet again. But I was being called before the council, and I knew it. 

Having answered at least a passing grade's worth of questions to their satisfaction, I was released under my own recognizance into her custody, to enjoy the Los Angeles Contemporary Museum of Art, where I saw red

Do you get angry when the people you love are mistreated? Do you see red sometimes? 

I wonder why Jeff Koons' piece was my favorite yesterday.


I won't try to capture 20 years of friendship in a single entry.  

A single phrase to describe my friend Zoe Pamintuan: Beauty Well-RED


No comments: