Monday, August 24, 2009

Editor

















Behind Guitar Center, up one block, one block west, up another block, is a  street lined with those trees with the gorgeous purple flowers. Such an amazing, vibrant color. We used to walk up that street every day at lunch-time. 

First time I met her, she was a customer. By the time she came to work there, we were already friends. 

Gear-head. I don't think that's a mean thing to say about her. She'd probably say the same. I admire her fascination with equipment and levels and processes. Loves to set up studios and run tracking sessions and label stuff and mix down and tweak this and balance that. When she worked in Hollywood, she'd get hired to consult on studio design and setup all the time.  

There's a podcast in the works for Sounds Like Humans. Her idea. It's a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the album, some of the conversations between me and Suren and Mike, some of the sessions at the studio, some of the challenges and the triumphs. 

We hung out a couple hours last night. Which sort of violates my whole not hanging out with women after dark thing. But technically, this was on Ichat and she wasn't really in my office; she's 300 miles away. Videoconferencing has been our way of meeting the last few months on this project. 

Basically, she's got me taping my whole life. With this many things to check off today's list, it's hard to remember to drag the camera and tripod along as well. 

Speaking of the camera...when we first talked about this podcast a few months ago, I said, "yeah this is a cool idea, but I can't afford a video camera right now. It's taking everything I've got to just make the music."

She said, "what's your address?" 

A few days later my video camera showed up in the mail. With instructions to film everything and send her the tapes. She'll edit the footage. Qualified for the After; she was there for the Before.  Seems right she should be part of the storytelling of  God reconstructing my life. 

Been a while since I walked up that street. 

Jacaranda. 
That's what those trees are called . . .  Jacaranda. 


















photo by Truth

A single phrase to describe my friend Truth Knox:  Tweaker of Visuals

No comments: