Sunday, September 30, 2007

Skyline III------Biology





Chemistry is exciting. You put things together and colors change, solids vaporize, crystals form, heat and smoke and light and sound! No wonder everyone's looking for a little chemistry!

 

Physics has solid rules of engagement, requirements like gravity, equal and opposite reaction (you push me, I'll push you back), velocity, acceleration. Business. All Business. Cause and Consequence.

 

Biology, not so much. Just the meandering study of life, ongoing and physiological. Mundane. Things can explode here too, though you'd rather they didn't.  Bound by all the same laws as Physics, Biology is Chemistry on auto-pilot.

 

As long as we're talking about subjects, I hated Geography. Ironic that I love to travel. I'll never forget the night before my Geography O'level exam, my Mom stayed up and studied with me all through the night because she knew I hated that subject and would need a little extra push to get over the hurdle. And wouldn't you know it, I got a Distinction! Wouldn't have gotten that without her.

 

My Dad worked ridiculously hard to take care of his family, so much so I'm not sure he took any breaks in between. I don't recall him saying, I'm too tired—I'm taking some time for myself. Just kept on pushing.

 

You shouldn't mail apples across country in the summertime—they might not survive the trip. Granola bars will make the trip just fine.  I know what I'm talking about. My sisters mailed me food when I was hungry.

 

Why am I telling you this?

Because if Chemistry missed a whole night of sleep for you, it was probably not to study Geography. And Physics simply won't work that hard for you without a paycheck at the end of month. I love Chemistry as much as the next man. And I understand the obligations and commitments that Physics binds. But when the chips are down, Biology will be there for you.

 

Chemistry: feeling, romance, what I WANT TO do, dancing with tonight's guest on 6th.

Physics: knowing, rules, what I HAVE TO do, business on 2nd and 3rd.

Biology: balance, relationship, who I AM, personal mirror, reference library on 5th.

 

 

My family lives on the 5th floor. When God sent me here, these people already lived on that floor. They were there when I moved in.  They didn't have to take me in. It's funny how we grow up and grow apart and decide we like people on other floors better. Hmmmm. I'm gonna stop there.

 

 

I make more frequent trips to this floor now, to learn about the amazing people who sacrificed so I could have the education that allowed me to articulate my dreams. These incredible people made sacrifices so that I would have resources to pursue my goals.  They hurt every time I failed.

 

I also remember how important it was to discover the 6th floor.  My family did a good job preparing me to design my own space even though it turned out different in style than the floor I grew up on.  Sometimes there are pressures, both real and perceived, that can leave you feeling like your 6th floor has to look like your  5th  As much as I love visiting with the amazing people that live there, I am often aware that my interior design is significantly different than the décor on 5.  


I remember the awesome joy of freedom to arrange my own values on the walls and stick pushpins in my own mantras for display. I also enjoy the realization that many of my values are simply my paraphrase of  ones hanging on the wall a floor below.

 

For some people the 5th floor is a frequently visited place of comfort and camaraderie, like a VIP lounge one level higher than Ohana. For others, it's a community service program to which we are sentenced at Thanksgiving and Christmas, a basement of the most specialized tortures.

 

For me, it's a safe place. I know I am loved here.  I know that whatever happens on other floors, the biologicals will welcome me home.

 

There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like…the 5th floor...

 

Next stop 6th

No comments: